Lynette Ebeoglu McGuinness is a Partner in the Firm’s litigation group. She graduated with Honors from the University of Florida in 1985, receiving a Bachelor’s Degree in Business.
She received both her law degree and her M.B.A. from the University of Florida in 1989, where she was a member of Law Review and Trial Team, was the Chancellor of the University Honor Court and was named to the University of Florida Hall of Fame for her outstanding leadership, community service and academic achievements.
During law school, she clerked for the Honorable Harold Bryan Crosby, who was appointed as a Special Master by Judge Winston Arnow in a civil rights class action brought against the U.S. Air Force in the Northern District of Florida.
Lynette concentrates her practice primarily in state and federal complex commercial litigation, arbitration, mediation, and appeals. Her broad commercial experience includes, among other areas, title to real property, defense of condo deposit cases, representation of receivers in FTC and CFTC actions, corporate finance, contractual disputes, foreclosures, professional malpractice defense, commercial and residential real estate, ADA public accommodations defense, financial instruments, corporate fraud, transportation, class action defense, injunctions and receiverships. She also has a significant appellate practice, having briefed more than two dozen and having argued more than a dozen appeals in the state appellate courts and in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
In June, 2004, Lynette was certified as a circuit civil and county mediator by the Florida Supreme Court. Through her mediation experiences, Lynette has acquired unique skills useful in facilitating favorable resolutions of legal matters, for both litigation and mediation clients.
Notable Client Work:
- Successfully defended the managing partner of a prominent Miami law firm in a legal malpractice action. Lynette tried the matter before a jury, who found in favor of her client.
- Successfully defended the developer of two condominium towers on the Miami River at the trial and appellate levels, in both State and Federal court, in nearly 100 different lawsuits seeking return of pre-construction condominium deposits.
- Successfully defended a Miami developer in a class action brought by homeowners dissatisfied with the design of their homes.
- Successfully defended a former vice-president of a hotel chain sued for fraud in the signing of a franchise agreement.
- Successfully defended a lawsuit in both the trial and appellate courts against an ocean carrier accused of mis-delivering goods to Australia.
- Successfully defended a developer sued for specific performance after a townhouse was sold to a different purchaser.
- Successfully defended a corporation against a lawsuit by its former president seeking severance pay exceeding his yearly salary.
- Successfully prosecuted hundreds of commercial foreclosures, at both the trial and appellate levels, for Republic National Bank, Premier American Bank, Sabadell United Bank and various private lenders.
- Served as General Counsel to Gerald B. Wald in his federal appointments as Receiver, Monitor or Auditor in multiple actions brought by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Commodities and Futures Trading Commission (CFTC).
- B.S.B.A., University of Florida College of Business Administration, with Honors, 1985.
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1989.
- M.B.A., University of Florida Graduate School, 1989.
- Florida Bar, 1989.
Professional Recognition & Community Involvement:
- Admitted to U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1993; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1990; U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1993; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 1998.
- Certified Circuit and Civil Mediator, 2004.
- Member of the Florida Bar, Dade County Bar Association, Transportation Lawyers Association and the Florida Association of Women Lawyers.
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Vestry Member and Junior Warden, 2011 to 2014, Vestry Member and Senior Warden, 2016 to present.
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal Day School, Board of Trustees, 2004-2005, 2011 to 2014, and 2016 to present.
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal Day School, School and Home President, 2004-2005.